Monday, August 18, 2008

The Magic of Faith

Today's Daily Soap {Scripture | Observation | Application | Prayer}
  • S: But Thomas, sometimes called the Twin, one of the Twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. The other disciples told him, "We saw the Master." But he said, "Unless I see the nail holes in his hands, put my finger in the nail holes, and stick my hand in his side, I won't believe it." Eight days later, his disciples were again in the room. This time Thomas was with them. Jesus came through the locked doors, stood among them, and said, "Peace to you." Then he focused his attention on Thomas. "Take your finger and examine my hands. Take your hand and stick it in my side. Don't be unbelieving. Believe." Thomas said, "My Master! My God!" Jesus said, "So, you believe because you've seen with your own eyes. Even better blessings are in store for those who believe without seeing." John 20:25-29 [MSG]
  • O: Seeing is believing. Faith is believing without seeing.
  • A: The Gospel of John shows us a perfect example of the difference between having evidence and having faith. As the risen Christ had appeared to a group of his disciples, they recognized Him to be all He had said He was and more. Even though they had never been told that He would raise from the grave and walk among them again, upon seeing Him they knew that to be the case. With the exception of one: "Doubting" Thomas. Thomas hadn't been with them when the Lord appeared. When the disciples told Thomas of what they had seen, he replied that he wouldn't believe it without proof. Without tangible evidence supporting the divinity of Jesus Christ, the Son of God, Thomas wasn't buying it. When the risen Savior first presented Himself to Thomas, He told him, "Examine the holes in My hands. Stick your hand where the sword pierced My side as I hung dying on the cross." He told Thomas, "Believe." Of course, Thomas could no longer doubt the evidence he had seen with his own eyes and touched with his own hands. He believed. Not because he had faith, but because he had evidence. Christ said, "Even better blessings are in store for those who believe without seeing." For some it is so easy to find themselves in doubt, needing evidence before they'll believe. Faith has no meaning for them. In my home hangs a sign that reads:
    Faith is not believing that God can -- it is knowing that He will.
    I can tell you, having faith feels so much better than having evidence. Faith gives you something to look forward to -- anticipation. It's easy to believe what we can touch and see. To believe it upon faith alone is magical! For me, faith in God is the ability to see the evidence of His existence everywhere I look.
  • P: God, You are. And I know it, because Your Word has said it. Thank You for being.
Send feedback to Joe by email, or by calling 317-644-6129.


Your comments?

Joe


No comments:

Average Joe's Review Store