Sunday, May 29, 2005

Book Review: Animal Farm by George Orwell

Book ReviewHave you ever read Animal Farm by George Orwell? I did recently, more out of curiosity than anything else. Briefly, the book is about a group of animals overthrowing their human "captors" and taking over day-to-day operations of "Manor Farm," which they rename "Animal Farm." As is so often the case, the animals initial intent to run the farm as a community of equals goes sour when one breed rises to the top and assumes total control. I won't spoil the surprise ending for you, because it's definitely worth waiting for.

Orwell is known openly writing politically charged books that speak out against totalitarianism. In his article, "Why I Write," Orwell himself puts it best:

Every line of serious work that I have written since 1936 has been written, directly or indirectly, against totalitarianism.... Animal Farm was the first book in which I tried, with full consciousness of what I was doing, to fuse political purpose and artistic purpose into one whole.

Told entirely from the point of view of the animals on the farm,
Animal Farm is a unique political commentary that is both a short and entertaining read, even if you aren't normally a reader if political writings.

Check it out, then tell me what you think.

Joe

No comments:

Average Joe's Review Store