Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Book Review: Brother Odd by Dean Koontz

Book ReviewThe third book in Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas franchise, Brother Odd is, in my opinion, the slowest starter so far. The process of building up the story here seems to be more tedious than in prior installments of the saga. In fact, It took me probably twice as long to read Forever Odd from cover to cover as it did the other two books. Maybe even longer to read it than the other two books combined.

That's not to say that it isn't a good story. Let's just say that it gets better the closer it gets to the end. Again, that's not intended to be a slam. But while I found it difficult to keep reading it through the first half of the book, I found it difficult to stop reading during the second half.

I don't know what it is about Odd Thomas that keeps Dean Koontz penning novel after novel about the unlikely hero. He seems to have found some connection to Odd that he just can't let go.

I won't go into spoilers here. I do occasionally (mostly when reviewing movies), but I like to leave the unexplored territory between the covers of a book for the individual reader to discover. I'll just say about this one: don't give up. You might find it a bit tedious at times, or even bordering on boring. But, like anything in life worth having, if you just stick to it and keep trudging through page after page, you will be rewarded in the end with another delightful Koontz tale.

I just have one question for the author though: why Odd Thomas? Can't we get a little Frankenstein love in the U.S.? I'll bet there are millions more like me that would absolutely love to get their hands on a third installment of that epic adventure!

Your comments?

Joe


No comments:

Average Joe's Review Store