Saturday, July 26, 2008

How The Grinch Stole Daddy

This week was my third week in a row of working six days. As I was preparing to leave the house this morning, my son came walking around the corner into the family room and said, "Daddy." I was trying to be quite stealth and get out of the house without waking anyone. Usually that's no problem because I'm leaving the house at 6:30 am. Today I wasn't leaving until 7am, and I guess that extra thirty minutes was enough extra time for my son to wake up before I left.

As I tried to explain to my son that I had to go to work I felt very much like the Grinch telling Cindy Lou Who that he had to take her Christmas tree back to his work shop to fix it because the lights only work on one side. "I'll fix it up there, and I'll bring it back here."

I told my son that I would be home early today -- around lunch time -- and that we would then play outside with his new yard sprinkler toy. As he turned away to walk back upstairs to bed I called him back and asked him for a hug. He hugged me and I lifted him up off the floor in my embrace.

He then wandered back upstairs and I headed off to work. For the past two hours I have been watching the clock, counting down the time until I'll head back home and hug my kids Hello instead of Goodbye. Only three hours left.

Your comments?

Joe


No comments:

Average Joe's Review Store