Saturday, January 14, 2006

Book Review: Dean Koontz's Frankenstein

I'm not what you'd call a die-hard Dean Koontz fan. I've read a few of his books: some that I've enjoyed, and some that I couldn't finish. So I was a little disappointed last month when I received two used Koontz books at a Christmas party gift exchange. Being an avid reader, I thought I'd give them a try.

Imagine if Mary Shelley wasn't a novelist at all, but rather an historian. If she had penned her hit book Frankenstein not from her own imagination, but rather from actual events that occurred in her lifetime. If not only Doctor Frankenstein had really existed, but also his monstrous creation.

If such a thing were true, then it's not much of a stretch of the imagination to believe that this giver of life had found a way to ensure his own mortality. Or to believe that the monster he created is still alive today, hiding and waiting.

Dean Koontz brings just such a tale to life in his telling -- continuation, rather -- of the classic Frankenstein tale. Giving full credit to the original author, Koontz spins a tale of the impossible, making it impossibly true. To tell you more would do you a disservice. You must pick up a copy of each of the three books that comprise Dean Koontz's Frankenstein.

Book one, Prodigal Son, and book two, City of Night, are both available now. Book three is promised this summer. Frankenstein is Dean Koontz at his best. Don't miss these books!

UPDATE: Check out my review of Book 3.

Joe

No comments:

Average Joe's Review Store