Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Fred Thompson Withdraws From Race

January 22, 2008
For Immediate Release

Statement from Sen. Fred Thompson
McLean, VA - Senator Fred Thompson today issued the following statement about his campaign for President: "Today I have withdrawn my candidacy for President of the United States. I hope that my country and my party have benefited from our having made this effort. Jeri and I will always be grateful for the encouragement and friendship of so many wonderful people."

So what does this mean now for those of us who have supported Fred Thompson? Frankly, we need to find someone else to support. But who? McCain? Romney? Huckabee? Giuliani, even? The way the race looks now is that we may be choosing our party nominee between Senator John McCain and Governor Mitt Romney. At least, that's how the early primaries make it look, and how the media is certainly spinning it.

Who will you choose? Will you sit back and wait to see if Fred throws his support behind one of the other candidates? Sadly, for me, my second choice is not likely to win the nomination, either. From where I sit, the Republican party has a pretty good bunch of candidates. I actually think that almost any of the Repblican candidates could do a decent job as President. Almost. I'm not sold on Ron Paul, and I'm not sold on John McCain.

I admire John McCain's service to his country. I just don't think he's a sound candidate for President. Maybe it's just that he wants it too much. Maybe it's that I'm not sure he can beat the eventual Democratic nominee. I don't know. And Ron Paul, well, I think he's just another Ross Perot.

For me, I've been considering the options for quite some time. I don't know that I'm quite prepared to choose a new candidate just yet. I know what my leanings are, but I want to give this a little more consideration before getting behind another candidate.

For now, thanks to Fred for making the race interesting, for speaking up for Federalism and the Reagan coalition, and for making us all think. It's a shame you won't be sitting in the Oval Office next year. Maybe a spot on the winning ticket is in the future?

Joe

No comments:

Average Joe's Review Store