Friday, January 18, 2008

My Social Exodus

If you've been following me on any of the many social networking sites (Twitter, Jaiku, Pownce, Utterz, etc), then you might have noticed that I have been much less vocal online lately -- through the social networking outlets, that is.

I guess you could call it a sort of exodus from social networking for me. There was a time when I was quite vocal on Twitter, and Pownce, and made somewhat regular submissions on Utterz. My wife constantly told me that it was all I ever did. I, naturally, did not believe her.

But since taking twelve days of vacation to move into our new home, then returning to work last week, and being without my computer several times over the past few months due to system board problems, I've realized that just maybe she could be right.

Since moving into our new home, my quality of life has been greatly improved from that of the past. I sleep in almost an hour later, get home from work almost an hour earlier, spend much less on gasoline, and get much more time with my kids. I spend the evenings after dinner playing with my kids, my computer still packed away and forgotten until they go to bed at night. I've found that things have been so much nicer, being away from the demanding social networking sites.

Not that I'm completely gone from them, mind you. I still follow several people, and browse through their updates, and make an occasional post myself. But the practice of texting what I'm doing several times a day and making several other posts via Pownce have come and gone. For me, the social group that I most want to network with right now is my family.

Thanks for now, TweetPeeps, and others. It's been fun.





Joe

No comments:

Average Joe's Review Store