Monday, November 20, 2006

Gripe! No Giving Thanks for an Audit

My days off this week are a little out of whack because of Thanksgiving. I would normally be working on Monday, but today I'm off. Which means I missed a conference call at work that my Assistant Manager had to take. He called me shortly afterward with the news that the Auditor is in the District auditing stores this week.

Most companies, including most Retail companies, have some form of internal audits they perform to ensure that certain procedures are being followed and certain standards being met. It was less than four months ago when the Auditor was last at my store. If you haven't done so before, you might want to read about that visit before proceeding:

Audit Injustice
More Audit Rant

This is what really gripes me about all of this. First, the Auditor in my Division is a total joke! He makes things up as he goes along, sometimes literally reversing a company directive and then deducting points on the audit because the company directive was followed rather than what he thinks should have been done, even when I couldn't possibly have known what he thought I should do in advance. Second, this Friday is the biggest shopping day of the year: Black Friday. My store does from four to five times as much business on this one day than on an average day the rest of the year. There are big five-hour specials, with big merchandise displays to set and big ads to put up. My distribution delivery schedule is changed because of the holiday, as well. This means that I'm off on Monday, receive a distribution truck on Tuesday, set a big ad late into the night on Wednesday, am closed on Thursday, and face the biggest day of the year on Friday. And some idiot thinks it's a good time to send an Auditor in? Frankly, I don't care if we fail an audit this week!

But wait, there's more. For the first time ever, my company is using an outside inventory service to conduct year-end physical inventory. In the past, this inventory has always been done by store staff the last two weeks of January. This year, we will have a slew of people in the store on December 7, in the middle of the holiday shopping season, doing our inventory for the first time. That leaves me just two weeks from Thanksgiving to prepare for this inventory. Do you see why I just don't have the time to worry about an Auditor this week?

Whomever makes the schedule for this guy should be replaced by a person with some common sense, because it makes no business sense to be conducting audits (and doing inventory, for that matter), when we should be focused on one thing only: making the most of the holiday selling season.

Joe
Comment

No comments:

Average Joe's Review Store