Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The Daily Gripe #29 - Haircuts and Stooges

It's time for The Daily Gripe, from Average Joe American.

I went to get a long overdue haircut today. It seems my haircuts are always long overdue. I don't know how often the average American man gets his hair cut, but for me it can sometimes be months. Not that I ever plan it that way. I just seem to have trouble finding the time to go to the barber.

Yes, I still use a barber. I think all men should use a barber. Salons and hair stylists are for women. Real men get their hair cuy by a real barber. And I think most men who go to a barber like to go to the same barber every time. You grow comfortable with him. He knows how you like your hair and cuts it just right every time.

That's the theory, anyway. But I'm just not sure anymore. My barber is a Methodist Minister who's been in the barber business for decades. He has his own shop where he cuts every head of hair himself, and he has always done a fine job. Until today.

I don't know if he's getting old, gets distracted easily, or is just losing his touch. Today when I left his shop I felt like Moe from the Three Stooges. A perfectly straight cut sat way too high on my forehead. That really gripes me! What do you do when that happens? You can't go to another barber to fix a haircut that's too short. There isn't much you can do with it at all. Wear a hat when you can, and hope it doesn't look too silly when you can't. And wait for it to grow out.

Fortunately for me, my hair grows quickly. I'll likely be in need of another haircut in two weeks. Then what? Find a new barber?

Finding a good barber is like finding a good church, or a good babysitter. You can search and search, but if you try out the wrong one, the results could be tragic.

Maybe I'll give mine another chance next time. Just one more shot at getting right. Because I'd rather have my hair messed up by my barber than by a stranger.

Joe

No comments:

Average Joe's Review Store