Wednesday, August 16, 2006

The Daily Gripe #23 - Potpourri

No, really, I don't have any gripes about potpourri. I mean, I think it's basically useless and does nothing but cause a mess when it gets knocked over and spilled onto the carpet. But this gripe isn't about potpourri, at all. This gripe is about a little bit of everything, which is why I call it "potpourri."

Water Damage
When I rolled my car almost two weeks ago, everything that was in the front passenger seat was ejected from the car and ended up in the ditch. I gathered it all up while I was waiting for the Police to arrive (which is how I got my only injury from the accident, a piece of glass in my thumb). One of the items to be tossed into the rain was a soft covered library book. Not the paperback style, but the larger soft covered variety that sells for about twice the cost of a paperback book. I brought it home and dried it out, and you can tell that it got wet. I wouldn't call the damage that extensive, and the book is certainly still fully readable, but it does have a bit of water damage.

Today we went to the library book, where I presented the book to the librarian on duty, along with my story. With hardly even a glance at the book to determine the extent of the damage, she hastily looked up some numbers on her computer and said, "It's twelve ninety-nine, or you could buy another copy to replace it, but it would have to be a new copy." I was silent, but my wife was livid. I didn't want to cause a scene in the library, but she wanted to speak her mind.

See, we once were Friends of the Library, which is a group of cardholding citizens who do things to support the library. We were members a few years ago before we moved out of town and just never rejoined when we moved back. Also, I have a very hard time throwing out books after reading them. We have donated hundreds of dollars in books to the library over the years. This, of course, is why my wife got so upset over $12.99. I don't blame her, really. It gripes me, too. I just didn't want to cause a scene in the library. I renewed the book and will probably take it to another branch of the library, probably the main branch, and see what they have to say.
License Branch
We went to the license branch today to transfer the plates from the car I wrecked to my new car, and to pay the sales tax on the new car. I don't really have much to gripe over about the visit to the license branch, except that we were there for an hour! On the BMV's website, it says the average wait at our local license branch is thirty-nine minutes. We were there for nearly twice that. Of course, our visit wasn't average at all. There were people who came in after us that were called and served before us. This, of course, really gripes me! I know of no justifiable reason for this to happen. Unless by some cruel twist of fate we were specially chosen to be guinea pigs for the latest trainee, who I'm not so sure will have a long and lucrative career at the license branch. After she went out to my car to verify the VIN against the title, she asked me what color the car is. After I answered, the employee training her said, "Remember, we just went out to the car?" There's some great powers of observation for you!
Mothers-in-Law (Again)
I won't go too deeply into this one. I went off on a major rant about it just last week. But my thoughtless, annoying mother-in-law made another of her thoughtless, non-caring remarks to my wife yesterday. If I gave all the details, you'd agree that it sounds as if she was trying to tick my wife off. I don't know about my wife, but she definitely ticked me off! I told my wife that right now I don't really care if I never see her mother again. I just wish she'd try to get away with one of those remarks to me instead of saving them up for my wife when she's alone! She really gripes me!!!
I guess that's all I've got for you tonight. I could probably go on forever, but then neither of us would get any sleep, would we? And I don't know about you, but I have to get up pretty darn early in the morning!

Got any gripes of your own you'd like to share with the Average Joe readers? Send me an email, or use the comment button below, and maybe I'll post your gripe on the site.

Joe

No comments:

Average Joe's Review Store