Monday, January 8, 2007

A Tired Old Gripe

It's been a little while since I've done any real griping here. I haven't really felt the need to let off any steam ... until today -- and this one is a familiar topic.

My Annoying Mother-In-Law

That's right, she's at it again. I've probably mentioned before that she always seems to be too busy to actually be a Grandma and spend a little time with her grandchildren (my children, that is). Every time my wife calls her up and asks her if she would like to watch one or both of the kids for a while, she always has something else more important to do. I've never known anyone who could actually spend so much time shopping (her most common excuse)!

Today while my wife was on the phone with her mother, my son wanted to talk to Grandma. My wife handed him the phone and he asked his Grandma if he could come over and spend the day with her. This thoughtless NON-grandma actually replied, "Well, today I have to go to Walmart." Without another word, my son handed the phone back to my wife and said, "Her said her have to go Walmart." His disappointment was visible.

Okay, I know that Walmart is open 24 hours a day in most locations, but does that mean that a person actually needs the full 24 hours to go to Walmart? It seems to me that a person could run to Walmart anytime of the day, and be more available to spend some time with a 3-year-old grandson who wants to visit.

Now what really gripes me the most about this is that she doesn't do the same thing when my wife's brother (or his wife) asks her to watch their daughter (she's 8 or 9, I can't remember which). Only when my wife (and now my son) asks her. I can't tell you how much that ticks me off! Maybe you can imagine it for yourself.

Maybe I spoil my kids a bit, but I absolutely hate to tell my son "no," especially about something like that. I took the day off work on Saturday to take my son to Chuck E. Cheese's (about 70 minutes away) because he's been asking to go since before Christmas, and I didn't want to disappoint him.

My grandmother was a much better Grandma than my mother-in-law is. My mom would surely be a great one, too, if she were still with us.

Joe

No comments:

Average Joe's Review Store