Sunday, January 7, 2007

Average Joe Radio: Episode Three

This new little podcast I started,



is already in its Third Episode in under a week. Wow! It's supposed to be a weekly podcast. But there's been a lot to talk about, and I really enjoy doing it.

So how do I do it? In a very unconventional way.

First, I search The Podsafe Music Network for the best podsafe music I can find. I try to have a theme, but sometimes the theme comes to me later.

When I know what the theme will be, I pick two or three songs that fit the theme.

Now the unconventional part. I record all of my intros, commentary, and closing narrative during my lunch break, from the front seat of my car, on a Palm OS Handheld device! Episodes One and Two were recorded using the built-in Palm Voicemail software. The audio quality wasn't the best, but it worked. Starting with Episode Three, I'm recording on the same Palm Handheld using WaveEdit Pro, which allows me to record in mono or stereo, compressed or uncompressed, at almost any sampling rate. It also allows me to edit and mix the Wave files, reverse them, speed them up, slow them down, reduce the noise level, virtually anything I want to do with them. I record in several brief snippets.

I then play the Wave files in order on my Palm Handheld using PocketTunes, which gives me a feel for the flow and rhythm of the podcast, as well as a quick check of sound quality.

Though I do have the capability to encode the mp3 files on my Palm Handheld, I usually do so on my computer. Audio encoding is very processor-demanding and it seems to go much smoother and faster on a desktop PC.

For mixing purposes, I convert the selected music mp3 files to Wave files. I then mix the music and commentary together into one large Wave file on my desktop PC.

I then encode the final Wave file into mp3 format using Acoustica mp3 to Wave Converter Plus. For id3 tags, which tell your mp3 player what to display as Album, Artist, and Title info, as well as album art and genre, I pull the encoded mp3 file into RealPlayer on my desktop PC and edit the clip info.

All that's left is to upload the completed podcast to The Internet Archive, which provides free hosting and bandwidth for a low-budget podcaster like myself, and post the show notes to Average Joe Radio.

The final step to take is yours. You have to subscribe to the RSS Feed, download the podcast, listen, enjoy it, and tell your friends about it. Blog it, DIGG it, whatever it takes. Just spread the word.

And thanks for listening!

If you have any feedback -- whether you like the show or hate it -- send me your suggestions.

Joe

Subscribe in iTunes

No comments:

Average Joe's Review Store