Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Social Networking Hatchet Job

Social NetworkingManaging an online presence can be quite daunting. Twitter, Plurk, Jaiku, Facebook, MySpace -- the list can be endless. Frankly, I've had enough of it. Today, I took the hatchet to my online presence.

At last count, I had thirty-four different social networking sites linked to from my site. Thirty-four! And while most of them could easily be updated with just one simple post to a service like Ping.fm, managing so many different networks can be tedious. I cannot tell you the last time I actually read any of the posts on any of those popular sites. I used Twitter, sure, but I only actually read posts from a very select few people, and posts with the hashtags #Reds and #Indiana.

I have maintained an account on a few of the services that I actually find useful -- Twitter being one of them, though I no longer maintain the @averagejoe account that once had 2000 followers. I now use a different account from which I can follow those whom I actively network with on a regular basis.

And, most importantly, I feel refreshed. It's like a burden lifted from my shoulders.

Your comments?

Joe

Maddy's Cancer Battle














No comments:

Average Joe's Review Store