Thursday, March 6, 2008

God's Provisions

Today's Daily Soap {Scripture | Observation | Application | Prayer}
  • S: Genesis 1:31; 1 Timothy 6:17
  • O: God created heaven and earth from nothing. Out of the void of space, He thought the world into being. He filled it with forestation and livestock -- fish and animals of all kind. Then He created man to watch over, protect, and enjoy His creation. Then He created woman so that man would not be alone. And, in God's eyes, it was good.
  • A: As a child growing up, I was a generally happy kid. Looking back, I remember that mom and dad frequently sacrificed so that we (their four kids) might have all that we needed and most of what we wanted. In fact, I've always told people that I had a good childhood, that mom and dad gave me everything I needed and wanted without spoiling me. Funny thing is, when I think about it, I didn't have all of the things that kids today expect and frequently take for granted. The Atari 2600 came into popularity during my childhood. The first home television game system, really, it was groundbreaking technology. Soon followed by Intellivision and Colecovision, they were the must have games of my childhood. But I never had one. A friend of mine had one, but not my family. Mopeds became prominent during my teen years, and the legal driving age was 14. Again, a friend had one, but no one in my family. In fact, we never even had cable television during my childhood. Growing up about halfway between Hamilton and Cincinnati, we pulled in twelve different stations using an over-the-air antenna. I've learned in adult life that most cities don't have access to such a large array of free television. The point to all of this is that I always remember childhood as a happy time, and having everything I wanted and needed. But I clearly didn't have all of the latest gadgets and toys. I had family, I had friends, and I had God. As a family, we did things together. We played games, and went camping and on other vacations together. We went to church regularly. We went to drive-in movies together (anybody remember those?). The bottom line is, I had a good childhood because my family taught me to enjoy and appreciate the things that God had provided. Creation, friends, family. Things that man cannot create and that you cannot find on the store shelves. Later in life, as an adult, I've enjoyed many of the tech gadgets created by man, but I'm still far from a materialistic person. Above all else, I still enjoy the gifts of God above all else. The view from here is good.
  • P: Lord, Thank You for providing for myself and my family; for meeting all of our needs, and even satisfying some of our desired. Thank You for giving us your wonderful creation and for teaching me to enjoy and appreciate it. And most of all, Lord, Thank You for blessing me with a childhood in a family where family was indeed more important than the latest, greatest big thing.
Send feedback to Joe by email, or by calling 206-600-4JOE.

No comments:

Average Joe's Review Store