Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Customers - Who Needs 'Em?

If there is one thing I have learned in the past several months of
working in the Retail business, it's that customers are not worth the
hassle. Seriously.

I don't know if it's a result of the Obama era or what, but customers
have just become unmanageable. I won't try to play the same angle that
many in the business world play, talking up how great and wonderful
customers are and how we must go out of our way to "distinguish"
ourselves from the competition, blah blah blah.

Frankly, my life would be much simpler without customers. Sure, they
are the ones who pay the bills, but I just don't think that they're
worth it anymore. Each day in my business I encounter customers who
feel ENTITLED to something for nothing. Like they're doing me a favor
just by darkening my doorstep and I should GIVE them everything just
to keep them coming back. And when they don't get what they want
(goods or services free or steeply discounted) they think they can
call some pencil pusher in some far away office and get their way.

When did people forget that businesses providing them goods and/or
services are in businss to make a profit and that they can only stay
in business by making enough of a profit? If we weren't in business to
make a profit we'd change the sign over the door to Salvation Army or
something.

I just don't get it anymore. I don't act like that when I'm on the
customer side of the transaction. Why do so many people feel like it's
okay to expect so much for so little?

Your comments are very welcome.

No comments:

Average Joe's Review Store