Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Mobile Post

Walking With God: Part 2


Noah

SOAP {Scripture, Observation, Application, Prayer}:
| ABOUT SOAP
SCRIPTURE: 9b Noah was a righteous man, blameless in his generation. Noah walked with God. 10 And Noah had three sons, Shem, Ham, and Japheth. 11 Now the earth was corrupt in God's sight, and the earth was filled with violence. 12 And God saw the earth, and behold, it was corrupt, for all flesh had corrupted their way on the earth. 13 And God said to Noah, "I have determined to make an end of all flesh, for the earth is filled with violence through them. Behold, I will destroy them with the earth. Genesis 6:9b-12 22 Noah did ... all that God commanded him. Genesis 6:22 1 But God remembered Noah and all the beasts and all the livestock that were with him in the ark. And God made a wind blow over the earth, and the waters subsided. Genesis 8:1 1 And God blessed Noah and his sons and said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth. Genesis 9:1
28 After the flood Noah lived 350 years. 29 All the days of Noah were 950 years, and he died. Genesis 9:28-29

OBSERVATION: Noah had such favor in God's eyes that he was chosen to re-father the human race.

APPLICATION: Like Enoch, Noah walked with God. Unlike Enoch, Noah died. But not until practically every one else on earth had been destroyed in the Great Flood.

Noah was favored by God, because he was a just and righteous man. Different versions of the Bible call him "blameless," or "perfect in his generation." Certainly not sinless, but maybe as close as a human could be? Though God didn't spare Noah from the taste of death as he did Enoch, God did spare Noah from tasting the death he dealt out to the world's population with the great flood. Noah and his family were chosen to survive the flood and to rebuild the human race. While everyone he had ever known was killed, Noah lived in the safety of his ark.

Imagine being told to build a large vessel so that you and your family could live while everyone else died. Unfathomable! But not for Noah. While you or I might think it a joke or a prank and brush it off, Noah got to business. Noah did as he was told. Would you? Would I? Or would we die, too, and the whole human race with us.

For 350 years after the flood Noah lived, repopulating the earth through his descendents. Then he died. Enoch never died; God took him. Noah lived while everyone else died, and lived on for centuries before he died.

How am I even worthy to walk on the same planet as such great men as Enoch and Noah? Do I walk with God like they did? I like to think I try, but do I really?

PRAYER: God, I know that I can never compare to such great men as Enoch and Noah. I'm not worthy of the gift You've given me in Your Son. I'm not worthy of Your grace. As a sinful being, the only thing I am worthy of is death.

But through Your merciful grace, You've made me worthy. You've made me great. You've washed away my sin. You paid a debt I could never repay. But You gave it freely, and made me free.

But do I share with others how awesome You are? Do I serve as the hands and feet of Christ in a way that would make you proud? Help me to do so, Lord. Show me Your will. And give me the strength to obey.

Joe
Mobile Post
Mobile Post

No comments:

Average Joe's Review Store