Sunday, February 14, 2010

Mobile Post

Walking With God


Enoch

SOAP {Scripture, Observation, Application, Prayer}:
| ABOUT SOAP

SCRIPTURE: 21 When Enoch had lived 65 years, he fathered Methuselah. 22 Enoch walked with God after he fathered Methuselah 300 years and had other sons and daughters. 23 Thus all the days of Enoch were 365 years. 24 Enoch walked with God, and he was not, for God took him. Genesis 5:21-24

OBSERVATION: Enoch never died. He lived a life totally pleasing to God. Enoch walked with God. Then God took him. Plain and simple, God took Enoch.

APPLICATION: One of my favorite Christian tunes is "I Can Only Imagine" by MercyMe. I can only imagine what it will be like when I walk by your side. I hear it and think of my mother, who walked with God for as long as I know. Then God took her. But not like He took Enoch. My mother suffered with cancer the last year of her life, knowing the battle she was fighting long before any diagnosis was made. Then God took her from us. My mother passed away seven long years ago next month. God took her.

God took Enoch. But Enoch never suffered. Enoch never died. Enoch walked with God, and he was not, for God took him. Boom, right off the face of the earth; no more Enoch. Because he lived a Godly life. He was a Godly man. He walked with God. He knew -- he knows -- what it's like, he doesn't have to imagine. For Enoch is with God today, still walking.

Can you imagine what that would be like? Theories differ on how soon after death God takes His people home. Some believe it happens right away. I know that's what I want to believe; that mom was with us one moment and with God the next. Others believe that God's people will sleep until the Second Coming of His Son. We'll know, someday. Until then, we can only try to imagine.

But Enoch, he doesn't have to imagine. Because he walked with God, because he trusted and obeyed God, because he pleased God, God took him. Incredible! Hebrews 11:5-6 reveals that 5 By faith Enoch was taken up so that he should not see death, and he was not found, because God had taken him. Now before he was taken he was commended as having pleased God. 6 And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.

Because Enoch sought God he walked with God. Because he walked with God he received the ultimate reward: eternity with God. With no delay. Enoch was not found because God took him. Oh to be considered by God as such a faithful servant as Enoch! I can scarcely imagine!

PRAYER: Father, I want to be Your faithful servant. While human doubt tells me that I could never be taken as Enoch was, my faith tells me that You can do whatever You wish. I want to please You, Father, even if my faithfulness pales in comparison to that of Enoch. In any case, Lord, I know that I will be with you again some day. Until then, I will just have to imagine.

Send me your thoughts.
Mobile Post
Mobile Post

No comments:

Average Joe's Review Store