Thursday, January 8, 2009

Selfishly Unworthy

SOAPSOAP {Scripture, Observation, Application, Prayer}:
FOR TODAY'S FULL READING, CLICK THE TITLE LINK ABOVE | ABOUT SOAP

SCRIPTURE
1 After all this, God tested Abraham. God said, "Abraham!"

"Yes?" answered Abraham. "I'm listening."


2 He said, "Take your dear son Isaac whom you love and go to the land of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains that I'll point out to you." 3-5 Abraham got up early in the morning and saddled his donkey. He took two of his young servants and his son Isaac. He had split wood for the burnt offering. He set out for the place God had directed him. On the third day he looked up and saw the place in the distance. Abraham told his two young servants, "Stay here with the donkey. The boy and I are going over there to worship; then we'll come back to you."

6 Abraham took the wood for the burnt offering and gave it to Isaac his son to carry. He carried the flint and the knife. The two of them went off together.

7 Isaac said to Abraham his father, "Father?"

"Yes, my son."

"We have flint and wood, but where's the sheep for the burnt offering?"


8 Abraham said, "Son, God will see to it that there's a sheep for the burnt offering." And they kept on walking together.

9-10 They arrived at the place to which God had directed him. Abraham built an altar. He laid out the wood. Then he tied up Isaac and laid him on the wood. Abraham reached out and took the knife to kill his son.

11 Just then an angel of God called to him out of Heaven, "Abraham! Abraham!"

"Yes, I'm listening."


12 "Don't lay a hand on that boy! Don't touch him! Now I know how fearlessly you fear God; you didn't hesitate to place your son, your dear son, on the altar for me."

13 Abraham looked up. He saw a ram caught by its horns in the thicket. Abraham took the ram and sacrificed it as a burnt offering instead of his son.

OBSERVATION

The Great Provider never fails us.

APPLICATION
How great it must have been for Abraham to have been held in such high favor with God. Even after deceiving Pharoah and Abimelech, Abraham was considered a man of God.

When God put the ultimate test to Abraham, he obeyed. I would lay down my own life in an instant for those I love. But I cannot imagine sacrificing my own son as Abraham was asked to do.

I consider myself a faithful follower of Christ. I try to live as God would want. But in comparison to the faith of Abraham, mine seems to come up wanting.

PRAYER
How, Father, does a person have such faith as Abraham did? He was willing to give his son for You, just as You have given Your Son for me. Thank You for Your grace in light of my unworthiness.

Your comments?

Joe

No comments:

Average Joe's Review Store