Sunday, January 18, 2009

Pass the Salt

SOAPSOAP {Scripture, Observation, Application, Prayer}:
FOR TODAY'S FULL READING, CLICK THE TITLE LINK ABOVE | ABOUT SOAP

SCRIPTURE
"Let me tell you why you are here. You're here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth. If you lose your saltiness, how will people taste godliness? You've lost your usefulness and will end up in the garbage.

OBSERVATION
We are salt of the earth, enhancing the world with the love of God.

APPLICATION
Am I a pepper? Do I like to spice things up a little bit -- maybe even pouring it on a little thick, so that everyone around me ends up sneezing in repulsion?

Am I salt, enhancing the flavor with a small sprinkle -- maybe even using a larger portion from time to time to preserve and protect?

Or do I just let life run its course, not adding any of my own flavor to the mix?

God has called me to be salt for Him, sprinkling His love and His Word on those I encounter, enhancing their experience a bit. Maybe pouring it on thicker when times are tough, showering others with His love and comfort, preserving and protecting.

Being bland would be easy, just living life and minding my own business. Spicing things up a bit is just a bit more challenging, as it would require involvement but is usually welcome by others who might be seeking their own thrills. Being salt for God -- that's a real challenge. Loving people, even if they don't want to be loved, now that's really taking a chance. Sharing God's love with others can be downright dangerous in some situations (at work, in the government, with strangers, etc.), and requires us to open ourselves up. But, oh, the rewards of seeing someone receive the ultimate preservation and enhancement -- Salvation through Jesus Christ -- and knowing that my salt might have helped them to make their decision of faith.

PRAYER
Father, I want to be salt for You. I want to be used to spread Your Word and Your love -- to enhance and preserve, as You would see fit. Use me, Lord.

Your comments?

Joe

No comments:

Average Joe's Review Store