Sunday, April 29, 2007

Simpler Times

It's been a little while since there's been a real post here. There's been more podcasting than anything else lately. Sorry, it's just become an enjoyable hobby.

And things have been so hectic at work lately that it's hard to find any time to sit down and actually write. In fact, I'm writing this on my Palm Tungsten T3 while my son plays in the bath tub. I guess I just have to take the time where I can get it.

Hopefully I'll be getting a little more of it soon. I start a (short) vacation on Thursday, which just happens to be my daughter's first birthday. Wow! It's hard to believe that a year has gone by already. She's gotten so big and is almost walking. And my son is getting bigger and smarter every day.

With the kids growing so quickly, and so much going wrong in the world every day, it's hard not to be a little concerned sometimes. Concerned for the well-being of my kids. Concerned about what the world will be like when they become young adults. Concerned that some idiot could shoot them down before they even have the chance to become young adults.

Bloody April has had two new casualties: two people shot to their deaths in a mall in Kansas. For what reason? That could have been any two people -- like my two kids.

We do everything we can to protect them, but you can only do so much before your efforts become over-protective and you actually do them more harm than good.

I know that every parent throughout history has had these concerns -- and it may have been the innocence of my youth -- but I don't remember ever being so concerned about my own safety as a kid. Times just seemed to be so much simpler back then.

Joe

No comments:

Average Joe's Review Store