Friday, December 23, 2005

Christmas Traditions

We're deep into the Christmas season with only two days to go, and Christmas traditions are in full swing. I've always loved the Christmas season, though several of the past few years have been quite hectic, being in Retail Management. This year, I've been lucky enough to be with a Retailer that has a very low-key Christmas selling season. We get busier, sure, but it's nothing like my years at the major elecronics, crafts, and office supply retailers I worked for. This year, except for my lengthy commute, I'm actually able to enjoy some time with my family and observe some of the traditions I enjoy.

Tonight, for example, we'll start the evening at about 7:00 pm driving through the park and some of the more spirited neighborhoods looking at Christmas lights. We'll then make some coffee and hot cocoa and watch A Muppet Christmas Carol (yes, I listened to the original on eBook this week, but it's just another one of those traditions).

Tomorrow, Christmas Eve, my wife and son will make cookies for Santa. We will then play some Christmas music and each one of us will open one gift.

Christmas Day is spent with my wife's family, opening gifts and having what is best described as a cold lunch. I personally prefer a more traditional turkey dinner, but I guess you can't have everything you want.

Most importantly, we will remember what this time of year and this season is all about. Christmas means only one thing. You might celebrate hannakuh, or kwanzaa, or ramadan, or some other such holiday, but if you celebrate Christmas, I encourage you to remember what the season means. It wouldn't all be possible if not for the birth of one special child some 2000 years ago.

Merry Christmas to you all. Wherever you are and whatever you believe: Merry Christmas!

Joe

No comments:

Average Joe's Review Store