Friday, March 16, 2007

Ignorant Incompetence

Sometimes I just go off. I mean, have a little of a temper. Nothing major, I don't think, and it usually only happens at work. Like today.

But first a little back story. ...

Approximately a month ago it came to my attention -- during a visit with from two District Managers -- that an employee was bringing a handgun to work and storing it in his locker. If you've ever been to Indiana, you might have noticed that at least 50% of the state's population lives in hick country. I don't know about you, but I personally don't feel too comfortable being around a hick with a gun. So I learned that this hick has been carrying a gun to work in my store for at least the past four months -- probably for the entire year he's been working here. These visiting District Managers actually learned this before I did! What makes matters worse is that both of my Assistant Managers had been aware of this for at least four months.

Last week during the investigation of the dishonest Associate I discovered, I became aware that a $300 piece of electronic merchandise had been stolen from the display. Two months earlier!!! When I asked who it had been reported to, I was told that both of my Assistant Managers had been told. Of course, neither of them will admit to having ever been informed of the theft.

Today, after waiting for two months for a backpack I ordered to be delivered to my home, I learned from one of my Assistant Managers that the backpack had arrived at the store and been sitting in a box in my office for three days. Three days!!! Bam! I slammed my fist on the countertop when I heard this. "Why wasn't I told?" I demanded. "I thought you knew," this ignorant incompetent spewed.

I went to my office and found the box, with my name labeled as the intended recipient three times on the box. "Why did you open it?" I asked. "I didn't know what it was," the spewer spewed.

I ranted and fumed and lectured for several minutes, then thrust the box in his face and said, "I don't like to beat a dead horse, but I'm going to kick this horse one more time before I let it rest. If the box has my name on it, that means it's for me. Don't open it." "What if you aren't here?" he spewed again. "Then leave it in the office for me to open when I return, and tell me that it's there when I return."

I guess I can get a little impatient at times, but one thing I definitely don't have any patience for is ignorant incompetence. I don't think there's anything wrong with me expecting a certain level of common sense, of intelligence, and of communication from those that I have hand selected to be my support staff.

Am I wrong? Tell me.

Joe

No comments:

Average Joe's Review Store