Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Perseverence

Today's Daily Soap {Scripture | Observation | Application | Prayer}
FOR TODAY'S FULL READING, CLICK THE TITLE LINK ABOVE.

SCRIPTURE:
When we got to Rome, Paul was allowed to live by himself, with a soldier to guard him. ... For two whole years Paul stayed there in his own rented house and welcomed all who came to see him. Boldly and without hindrance he preached the kingdom of God and taught about the Lord Jesus Christ. Acts 28:16, 30-31 [NIV]
OBSERVATION: Paul, in adversity, never faltered.

APPLICATION: 
I found myself today engaged in a conversation with someone about the Presidential candidates. He described himself as "leaning Democrat," though he couldn't say why. He admitted that he hadn't studied the candidates and knew almost nothing about either one. We spoke for a while of the differences between Senators McCain and Obama. Our discussion turned to other issues such as education, taxes, the Supreme Court, and even state and local candidates. In the end I suggested he visit On The Issues.org for a non-partisan presentation of where both candidates stand on the issues. I doubt that he was swayed either way.

It occurred to me while reading through the book of Acts about how Paul persevered in preaching the Good News, even under the watch of a Roman guard, that so many today will expend a great amount of energy extolling the virtues of their chosen candidate for public office. So many people get so passionate when speaking about the man or woman they support. I know that I do. Sadly, I cannot remember the last time I spoke of the Son of God with such intensity.
PRAYER:
Father, use me to tell the story of salvation through Your Son with the same conviction that I tell others of my Presidential pick. Please put my passion to work for the Kingdom.

No comments:

Average Joe's Review Store