Thursday, July 27, 2006

The Daily Gripe #6 - Hectic Schedule

It's time for The Daily Gripe, from Average Joe American.

Maybe I shouldn't even be griping about this. I am, in part, responsible for putting myself in the situation. But here goes, anyway.

You probably know that I drive almost two hours to work each way. Counting a ten hour work day, that can make for some long fourteen hour days. Being in Retail, I can work a variety of shifts. Luckily, as a Store Manager, I have a pretty set schedule for the most part. But I do have to close one night a week. The way it works out, I close on Thursdays and open on Fridays. Here's how that translates: I'll leave work at 9:30 tonight and arrive home at about 11:30. I'll be tired, but won't be able to fall asleep right away. That won't happen until around midnight. I have to be back at work tomorrow at 7:00 am. That means I'll get up at 4:30 and leave the house by 5:00. My three-month-old daughter will certainly wake me up at some point in the night.

Only four-and-a-half hours sleep, and broken sleep at that. That really gripes me! Okay, maybe it's petty to gripe about such a thing. After all, I do write my own schedule, and though I do have to close one night a week, no one ever said I have to open the next morning. But hey, it hasn't been a bad day, and there's really nothing else to gripe about. So there you have it.

Joe

No comments:

Average Joe's Review Store