Sunday, August 14, 2005

August Updates

Just a couple of topics to touch base on today, most of which are updates of previous topics.

You may have noticed some subtle changes to my site lately. The heading on most pages has changed to a small graphic, and the navigation panel is kind of cluttered around the graphic. I know this isn’t the most user-friendly interface in the world, and I’ll be making some changes soon. Also, recent posts have had greatly reduced links, and I’ve completely eliminated the Google and Yahoo search links. If you’d like more information on a term or person mentioned in an entry, you can simply copy and paste it into your search engine of choice, or into the Google search box that appears on every page of Average Joe Blogs. Additionally, you can download Firefox, which includes a search bar in the menu bar that will allow one-click searching of any major search engine, including Wikipedia, Amazon, and more. I found the amount of time I invested in creating the search links was encroaching on the time I spend with my family. I hope you don’t find this to be a major inconvenience.

Now for a few updates.

TERRI SCHIAVO

In March, I brought you regular updates on the Terri Schiavo story. I’m a little behind on this update, but the autopsy results have determined not only that Terri Schiavo has not been abused since the incident that so tragically rendered her into what has been called a state of vegetation, but also that there are no signs that her husband did anything to contribute to that incident. This of course doesn’t do anything to bring her back or to help her family find closure, and I’m still not convinced that Michael Schiavo’s motivation was pure when he fought to have her food and water supplies withheld, but I guess we have to call this case closed with these results.

SEX OFFENDERS

In April, I spoke in depth about Sex Offenders and whether I felt they could ever truly be rehabilitated. Last night while watching the local news, my wife picked up a couple of links to online Sex Offender Registries for the states of Indiana, Illinois, and Kentucky. Out of curiosity, we spent a little time checking out our neighborhood, and were shocked to see that a convicted Child Molester lives less than two blocks from our house! In fact, my son and I have passed this house over a hundred times on our frequent walks over the past year or so. There is often a man sitting on a bench on the front porch of this house clutching something red in his lap that appears to be about the size of a small musical keyboard, though I can’t make out quite what the object is. My wife and I have often wondered why he sat on the porch and what he was holding in his lap. Of course, I still wonder what he’s holding in his lap, but I’m now more concerned that this individual might be the Registered Sex Offender we discovered last night, and that he may just be sitting on his front porch watching all the kids go by. Naturally, on top of the recent theft from my wife’s car as it sat safely in our driveway, this causes us great concern.

To make matters worse, the nearest elementary school is only two blocks away from this Registered Sex Offender’s home, and there is at least one other elementary school within five miles. As I stated in April, I’m not so sure that these deviants – the worst our society has seen – can every truly be rehabilitated, and it infuriates me that we release them from jail and allow them to live in our communities, so close to our homes and to the elementary schools where our children attend.

I would like to hear your thoughts on this matter. If you find this as upsetting as I do, please drop me a line. If I receive enough feedback, I may consider drafting a petition for legislation that might help to make us all feel a little safer in our own homes.

DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME

I began May with my rants about Daylight Saving Time. Since then, the Indiana legislature has passed a bill and Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels has signed into law the implementation of Daylight Saving Time for the state of Indiana. Next March, Indiana will join the majority of the world in springing forward in observance of Daylight Saving Time.

Just this month, President Bush signed into law a new energy bill which, among many other things that don’t include relief for the rising gas prices, includes a provision to spring forward earlier and fall back later, extending Daylight Saving Time by a full four weeks every year. I still don’t understand the logic in this change, but then I also disagree with the logic of observing Daylight Saving Time at all. As Paul Harvey so adequately stated, no matter what you do with the clock, you simply cannot make a day any longer or shorter, or save any Daylight. There are still only twenty-four hours in a day, and the number of those hours that are dominated by daylight will always be Divinely determined.

As I stated in May, I stand firm behind my belief that we should indeed spring forward in March, once and for all, never to fall back again. While there may be true economical reasons for the observance of Daylight Saving Time, there is no logical reason for switching back and forth every year.

BONUS CHECKS

Also in May I lamented about my non-existent Bonus Check. I am happy to report that there were several errors found in the accounting process used in May. Adjustments were made that resulted in the payment of a very modest bonus in my last paycheck. In addition, the second quarter bonus payout is expected next week. Through the month of June, I’m expecting a payout in the neighborhood of $1600. That is, unless the July numbers that should be out this week negate that. Stay tuned for further updates in the weeks to come.

If there’s anything you’d like to see or hear on my site, drop me a line, and I’ll do my best to oblige.

Joe

No comments:

Average Joe's Review Store