Friday, June 30, 2006

Missed Opportunities

About two months ago, one of the Store Managers in my group decided to leave the company for another opportunity. The District Manager announced this to the group on a conference call on the last day of this Manager's employment. I called the District Manager after the call to ask him about his plans for replacing the departing Store Manager. I currently commute two hours each way five days a week, and the store with the newly-vacated position would put me a full hour closer to home, cutting my commute time in half. I was extremely disappointed to learn that my District Manager was already in the process of hiring a replacement for the departing Manager. "You could have moved me closer to home," I said. He replied, "I didn't realize that would be closer for you."

I felt slighted, disappointed, passed over, neglected -- a whole slew of emotions. I told him that I would be happy to consider one of three other stores that would put me considerably closer to home. "We'll see what happens with this new guy," he said, indicating that he might not work out and I might get the closer store after all.

A week later, while the District Manager was at my store for a visit, the newly-departed Manager called my store to speak with him. I answered the call. Jokingly, I said, "He's not going to let you come back." He answered, "I'm already back." When I asked where, he said he was at the same store he had been in before.

Last night I went to a meeting of five of the stores in my District. While there, I learned that another store in the market had an open Store Manager position. When I inquired about it, I learned that the Manager who had quit and returned just two months earlier was transferring to the now-vacant store. I also met the newly hired Manager to assume responsibility for his store.

Yes, I'm quite ticked off. I won't rant about it, though. I just needed to get it off my chest.

Joe

No comments:

Average Joe's Review Store