Tuesday, February 7, 2006

Fw: From the Office of Senator Evan Bayh

After the Senate's full vote on the confirmation of Judge Alito to the Supreme Court, I sent a letter to Indiana Senator Evan Bayh expressing my disappointment with him for voting against then-Judge Alito's confirmation. Today I received the following email reply:
----- Original Message -----
From: noreply@bayh.senate.gov
Sent: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 4:07 PM
Subject: From the Office of Senator Evan Bayh

Thank you for contacting me regarding President Bush's nomination of Samuel Alito , Jr. as Associate Justice to the United States Supreme Court. I appreciate your thoughts and concerns on this issue.

I believe the President deserves great deference in his choices for the federal bench. The Senate has confirmed 216 of President Bush = s judicial nominees since he took office. I have supported more than 95% of the President = s nominees. On many of those occasions, I have been one of a handful of Senators to cross party lines and support the President. I have supported all of Senator Lugar = s choices for federal judges, magistrates, and U.S. Attorneys in Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana.

As you know, President Bush nominated Samuel Alito as Associate Justice to the United States Supreme Court on October 31, 2005. Upon the conclusion of his hearings before the Senate Committee on the Judiciary, and after carefully examining his record, I decided he was not the right choice for this position.

Again, thank you for contacting me. I hope the information I have provided is helpful. My website, http://bayh.senate.gov, can provide additional details about legislation and state projects, and you can also sign up to receive my monthly e-newsletter, The Bayh Bulletin , by clicking on the link at the top of my homepage. I value your input and hope you will continue to keep me informed of the issues important to you.

Office of Senator Evan Bayh
(202) 224-5623
Russell 463
Washington, D.C. 20510

I won't bother to editorialize about it. If you've been visiting my site for long, you already know how I feel.

Joe

No comments:

Average Joe's Review Store